Tuesday, February 17, 2009

$40 laps

Ill get to the weekend in just a second, But first to last weeks road crit. It was just me and Dave racing last week and not the biggest feild but enough riders for a proper race. 3 riders got away at the start and despite some half assed attempts from a few riders, the bunch didnt catch them. with three laps to go, i got on daves wheel with the intention of staying there until the end. It almost fell apart when someone tried to pass me on the inside of a corner when I was already on the edge of the road with about 4 riders on the outside, our bars and arms were clashing and there was alot of yelling, but we all made it through. By the tme we got to the sprint I had droped of daves wheel but was still at the front of the bunch. I was behind the guy that alomost knocked me of earlier, and couldnt get around him, but ended up taking 8th place, which is the first time I have placed.

Now to the sydney 24hr. It was decided that I would do the first lap which I guess I was cool with. I lined up at the start and it was raining and the track looked muddy. I got a good start and was even leading for a little while and came through as the first ride rider in our catagory. The track was bloody fun. Started with a very steep techy climb then a long fire road section and then some wicked muddy switch backs through a swamp followed by a scary drop down a rocky, slippery gully. the rest of the track was a bit boring for this kind of race but the two bits of single track were bloody fun, worthy of a national round next season perhaps. so by 7pm we were leading by 3 laps but our bikes were fucked and riding at night was going to be a bit full on so we stopped. Luckily, shortly after the race director decided to stop the race until 7am the next day. We started the next day 1 lap up and opened it up to 2 laps by the end of the race. To give you an idea of how bad it was out there though, by my first night lap I needed new front brake pads, in that 1 lap, I managed to almost completly wear them out in a 10km (25 min) lap. But It was a fun weekend anyway and we arnt too tired to ride either. I would like to say thanks to JetBlack for sponsoring us and helping bring down the price of a very expensive race.

Tonight I start the ACTAS program and I dont think I have nayraces for a little while now, so Ill let you all know when somthing cool happens.

Nick

No comments: